Thursday, January 12, 2012

WTF!??! We're wrestling in a barn...

Had a few people who emailed me and asked that I tell a funny story from the road or just weird stuff about some of the shows that I have been on.  I have plenty of them, but this one just sprung to my mind.

I want to say it was like 2004 or something like that, which means I had been in the business for 2 years.  A few guys that I wrestled with at the time, "the Homeless Avenger" Dick Nasty & "K-Nine" Sean Kindred, were heading to a show in central OH (I am not going to name the promotion though) and I decided I was going to ride along.  The show was like 3 hours away from Toledo area, where we all lived at the time, and was hard as shit to find.  Just a note to the readers who have never been to shows in Ohio, Indiana, or Michigan; sometimes these shows are in the smallest, shit hole towns in the middle of BFE that it is in your best interest to leave about an hour earlier than planned just to make sure you can find the place.

Anyways, we follow the directions and finally ended up finding the address, which was spray painted on the side of a shitty, old barn.  Great.  We all kind of looked at each other and said "this cannot be the right place."  So we decided to get out and check inside this barn to see what was up.  We walked inside and there were about 20 kids around the age of 14 or 15 "working out" (doing highspots) in a ring inside this barn.  At that point, I said "WTF!??!  We're wrestling in a barn!"  K-Nine, Nasty, and I thought that we had seen it all for the day, but then we saw one of these kids climb up into the old hay loft in the barn and jump onto another guy who was inside the ring....before the show even started.  Wow.

Nasty decided that he was not even going to work the show at all, so he sat in the crowd and watched this train wreck of a show firsthand.  Smart man.  First off, I just want to say that these kids treated all of us like we were fucking Rick Flair man.  They bought us water & Gatorade, and we even got one of the kids to go buy is Taco Bell after our match.  Though they treated us this way, K-Nine and I were booked against each other in the first match, for whatever reason.  I guess it's important to save the hay loft dive for the end of the show or something.  The only other thing they could do to top that is to shove fireworks up a guys ass and have him hit flying teabag on someones face.

K-Nine and I go out there and put on a fucking wrestling clinic compared to the drizzling shits that the crowd was about to endure.  It was towards the end of the match, and I was going up to the top rope to hit an inside leg lariat on K-Nine for the finish.  Just as I was jumping off, the rope (which I believe was a cable wrapped in a garden hose) snapped and I landed right on my face.  Needless to say, K-Nine just about shit his pants in laughter, Nasty was in the crowd rolling on the floor, and I was fine, but could not stop laughing myself either.  That was my finish, what else can I hit on this guy for the win?  Since Nasty was having such a great time laughing his ass off in the crowd, I decided to pick K-Nine up and hit Nasty's finish, the Homeless Driver (which was basically a sit out body slam) and then proceeded to point at Nasty during the 1 - 2 - 3.  It made me laugh even harder, and really, that's all that mattered.

When we walked into the back, every one of those kids on the show were like "oh my god, are you okay?"  It was hilarious.  These guys were not really paying us that much to begin with, but I want to say that I walked out of there with like $50 just because I fell off the top rope.  I think that was partially because these kids knew that they were underage and did not want me ratting them out to their moms & dads, and probably because they thought I was going to sue them or something like that.  Oh well, easiest money I ever made for falling down.

1 comment:

  1. Memories of the craziest place that I ever wrestled in my short career. I could have sworn one of the wrestlers entrance music was Dueling Banjos from the movie Deliverance. LOL. I also remember before the show started that that promotions rival promotion came in to heckle them. Wasn't much heckling during our match though....LOL I sure miss those days....but my body does not....Take care Brother...Knine

    ReplyDelete