Monday, January 9, 2012

Lend a hand DIPSHIT!!!...

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming response to the blog thus far.  This is something that I have been wanting to do for awhile now, and it is good to know that people actually read and enjoy it.  Really, I just see this blog as another creative outlet for myself and my opinions, so that I don't have to bug my buddies Jock Samson and Ben Boone on the phone all the time, ha ha!  People have been emailing me all weekend with ideas for future blogs, so I encourage you to do the same.  Any topics that you would like to get my opinion on, please shoot me an email at ernieballz@hotmail.com.

I have already talked about the fact that I have been in the business of professional wrestling for 10 years now.  Over those 10 years, I have wrestled, managed, booked, promoted, been in a movie, set up rings, set up chairs, unloaded/loaded trucks, set up the entrance & sound equipment, ran the concession stand, sold gimmicks for Doink the Clown (Not the real one, one of the 100 other ones out there), and pretty much done everything else that you can think of in this business.  This is called paying your dues, and a lot of the people in the business today think that they are above this for some reason.

Let me tell you something right here, right now.  If you have been given the opportunity to be a part of this business at all, you better thank your lucky stars and do what needs to be done to stay in it.  Let me give you an example from my own experiences.  W.A.R. Wrestling (Wrestling And Respect) is a company in Lima, OH and probably one of the best in US today.  They have been running since 2003 and have been drawing crowds of 300-500 ever since then.  W.A.R. was always a place that I wanted to get into and be a part of.  I decided one day that I was just going to keep showing up to every show from then on to try to get a spot.  I would get there, help set the ring up, help tear the ring down, and pretty much do whatever they needed me to.  I did that for 2 years until Bender and I finally got a spot as a tag team on the roster.  I have been at W.A.R. ever since and even help them out booking and putting shows together now.

My point is that EVERYONE needs to lend a hand from time to time.  This includes wrestlers on the shows that have been working for upwards to 10-15 years also.  With all of the technology out there today, is it really that hard to re-post a status about a show you are on, or share a hype video for a show you are on?  Do you want more people to come to the show?  Do you want the company to grow, make more money, so then you can also make more money?  Then quit being such a douche bag and do your part to help out.  Many of you are probably saying, "well that is the promoter's job, not mine."  Very true, but every little bit helps.  I don't think people totally realize how things like Facebook and Twitter work.  It's almost like when you would tell someone something back in the day.  That person would tell 2 friends, then they would tell 4 friends, so on and so forth.  One post is all that promoters ask.  The main reason why is because you may have friends on your page that the post will reach that it normally would not reach from just the promoter alone.

Basically, new guys need to pay their dues and do the grunt work to get along in this business.  It has always been that way and should continue to be that way until the end of this business.  It's not just about getting "newbies" to do all of the work, it is about respecting the people that have given you a chance at all in the first place.  And all of you assholes that are already in the business and feel that you are above helping out other than in the ring, screw you.  I am in my 10th year in the business and probably help out more now than what I did when I started.  Think of it this way, let's say that there are 500 chairs in a building, the ring, and the entrance way.  There are generally about 20 guys on a show.  If 5 of those guys helped with chairs, 5 with the entrance way, 5 with the ring, and the last 5 with cleanup, then everyone could be out of the building and out at the bar within about an hour, if not less.  It's pure laziness and people thinking that they are too good to help.  It's part of the business, suck it up and lend a hand DIPSHIT!!!

1 comment:

  1. Every show I have worked and even haven't worked I have helped, takes A LOT of work to setup and break down a show , all hands on deck!

    ReplyDelete