Tuesday, March 13, 2012

We are not invincible...

A little over a week ago, I went down to Coshocton, OH to train at the Big Guns Academy, which is Ohio Championship Wrestling's official training center.  I have just been trying to stay in the ring a little more frequently, so that I can keep the rust off.  Well, when I was down there, I really did not do much at all.  But for some reason, I have had a pain in the right side of my neck for over a week now.  The pain is so bad at this point that it is starting to shoot into my right shoulder as well.  Pretty sure that it is just a pinched nerve or something, because I have done that before and the pain USUALLY goes away within a few days.  This pain is hanging around for some reason and really starting to nag at me.

In 2009, I broke my left ankle in a match in Detroit, which forced me to have surgery.  I now have a plate and 2 pins in my left ankle and it still bothers me every now and then to this day.  The days that I spent in the hospital from that surgery were probably the worst moments of my life.  I never want to have to go through that ever again.

Anyways, my point here is that none of us are invincible.  None of us have thousands of dollars to pay medical bills, because most indy wrestlers do not have health insurance, for whatever reason.  Most guys out there who wrestle think that it is just normal to get injured, get fixed, and get back into the ring.  Well, that may be okay with some, but definitely not me.  If I get hurt one more time, I am done with the actual wrestling part of things.  I will probably stick around as a manager, commentator, referee, or something like that, but I will NEVER wrestle again.

I guess what I am trying to get at is, if you are going to wrestle, then get insurance, somehow.  Whether that means getting a "real" job where you can have insurance, or paying for it yourself somehow.  It is worth it in the long-run.  It has almost been 3 years since I broke my ankle and I did not have insurance at that time.  I am still paying off the bills from that to this day.

Don't be stupid.  There is no use in getting yourself dropped on your head or falling from the top rope to the floor.  The WWE is not looking for people that can do that crap anymore.  Hardcore is dead.  It's about being a smart competitor now with a personality and keeping yourself in shape and fresh.  Work smart, not stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment