Monday, March 12, 2012

Break out of your bubble...

I will be the first to admit that I am not your normal "indy wrestler."  Currently, I work for about 2-3 places on a regular basis and kind of just stay inside of "my bubble."  I am comfortable with the places that I work, and the people that work there.  The days of driving 4 hours away for $10 and a hot dog are over for me; I have been there and done that.  Outside of wrestling, I have a pretty good job that pays me well.  I have a girlfriend, a dog, and a house to take care of.  I have friends, family, and other things to keep me occupied for the most part.
I have worked for the WWE and it was not my cup of tea.  Too much walking around on egg shells and hoping that you don't step out of line and direspect someone.  I'm really just proud that I can say that I am satisfied for once in my life, after stressing and worrying about things in wrestling for so long.  I am comfortable with what I have done and where I am at in wrestling, and constatly look for other ways that I can contribute to the business as a whole. (like this blog)

In my opinion, it takes a certain kind of person to be successful in wrestling.  Relationships, family, friends, a "real" job; those all take a backseat to wrestling.  It's all about working as many shows as possible to make as much money as possible and get your name out there so that you can go to "bigger and better" places.

When getting into the business and first starting to try to get onto shows, I feel it is important to surround yourself with the right people.  Find the people that you know are good, are in the main events of the shows you want to be on, and have been doing it for years.  Pick these guys brains, offer to drive them to shows, basically, do whatever you need to do to learn from these guys.  They are the ones at the top on your level, so they are the ones that you should be talking to.  Be respectful, shut your mouth, and learn.

Once you do start getting bookings, work as many of them as you possibly can.  If you are single, then why the hell are you not on shows all weekend long?  Get your ass out there and work man.  And when it comes to actually getting bookings, it's all about staying on the promoter's ass about bringing you in and having "something" to offer once they do.  Some guys look like a million bucks but have no personality, some are fat as shit but are entertaining as hell.  It's just about having "something" that makes you that much different than someone else.

Work any show that you can get onto for your first 2 years in the business just to get experience.  Once year 3 rolls around, you should be getting booked by better places anyways, but, either way you can pick and choose a little bit.  There are people out there like Colt Cabana and Sami Callihan that are known for being on a show here, then being on a show hundreds of miles away the next night.  That's what getting your name out there is all about.  It's about creating a buzz behind yourself somehow.

I guess my point here is to tell everyone to break out of "your bubble" more if you REALLY want to do this.  The easiest way to get into the WWE now is to save the fucking money up and go to FCW, plain and simple.  If you want to get to that level THAT BAD, then why are you not moving to Tampa?  I will tell you what it is....EGO!!!  People's egos get in the way and they something like, "fuck that, I have been in the business for 5 years, I'm not paying to go train again."  Ok....well then I guess you don't want to work for WWE that bad then.  You can't just sit around and wait for Kristen from WWE to call you to be an extra for the rest of your life and hope that William Regal likes your tryout match.  That is literally like a 1 in a million shot.  If you take your ass to Florida an pay for the school, you already have one foot in the door then.  You have to get you ass out there and do what you have to do to get where you want to go.  That's not just a lesson for wrestling, that's life.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of the things you say on here. I would go one step further though with the "moving to Tampa" thing. If your goal in the wrestling business is "I want to work for the WWE", then what you should do is learn the basics somewhere, and then do whatever you can to go to FCW (or maybe even another place that WWE picks talent from, like Rick Bassman's UPW).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. I just can't stand listening to all of these people that say "this is all that I have ever wanted to do," but they do nothing about it. I guess the point I was trying to make is to get your ass wherever you can actually be seen by the WWE. Sticking around "your bubble" is not going to do anything for you except give you the same results you have been getting.

    ReplyDelete