Monday, February 20, 2012

"You scratch my back, I will scratch yours..."

Sorry it has been awhile since I have posted a new blog.  Too be honest with you, I just started a new job today and have had the last 2 weeks off of work.  I got a lot of random BS done, and also took some sewing classes so that I can start making gear.

I really just wanted to be able to make my own gear, but I plan on expanding out and doing stuff for other people as well eventually.  Almost done with my first pair of bell bottoms for myself, so I will post pictures once they are done.

Just wanted to let everyone know how much I really do appreciate your support and reading all of these blogs.  I have been checking the stats a little more now and they are really blowing me away.  There are people reading this is the U.S., Canada, South Africa, Australia, Russia, Germany, and Japan.  I guess that old "you tell a friend, then they tell a friend" quote is true.  So let's keep it up and get the word out there more.  I have actually thought about also starting a Pro Wrestling: Men In Tights podcast as well.  Basically just talking to the lesser-known guys in the Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, an Indiana area.  Let me know what you think of that idea guys.

In this blog, I want to talk about taking care of the business as a whole.  When I was kid, my dad always used to say the quote, "you scratch my back, and I will scratch yours."  It basically just means, if you help me out, I will help you out.  I think that this is something that people have somewhat forgotten in the wrestling business today.

I have gone to shows for years, gotten paid $20 here, $50 there, a hot dog here, $100 there, etc...  My point is that it blows me away how much this business has gone downhill.  I talk to guys that have been in since the mid 90's and they talk about how they never got less that $100 and the crowds were huge.  I am lucky to get $30, and that is the higher end of what I get paid at some of these shows. 

In my opinion, if you are running a good show, then you should be paying each of your guys AT LEAST $50.  There are probably promoters out there saying, "yeah right, never gonna happen."  Here's the thing, if you would stop booking 12 matches a night, with 40 guys on a show, then you could afford to pay your guys that much.  Plain and simple.

The biggest issue is that these promoters want to use every guy that is in their area, plus guys from other areas.  You need to find yourself a group of about 20 people that you can rotate in and out for shows.  Get like 6-8 singles wrestlers, a few tag teams, and maybe a couple of girls.  Everyone does not need to be on every show.  Rotate people around and make it work.

Now I know it is not the mid 90's an the business is in the crapper, but that just means that the promoters need to bust their asses more and find new ways to draw fans in.  Think of it as you are a normal, everyday person, who knows nothing about wrestling.  How are you going to find out about the show?  The wrestling fans are easy, they find the poster or hype video online.  It's about getting those new fans to show up.  THAT is what is going to keep this business alive.

Going back to promoters booking 10-12-15 matches on one show.  It pisses the fans off because they are there forever, and it pisses the wrestlers off because they end up with shorter time to wrestle.  I think a good overall time for a show is 2.5-3 hours, and the AVERAGE time that a wrestler should be given for their match is AT LEAST 12 minutes. This gives the wrestlers enough time to do whatever they need to do and have plenty of time to do it.

I guess the point to all of this is that "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" type of thing.  As a wrestler, you pay me well, I am going to be loyal and put on a good match.  As a wrestler, if you pay me like shit, I am probably only going to work for you once and never come back.  As a promoter, if I pay you well, then I expect a damn good match out of you and for you to do whatever I need you to.  As a promoter, if I pay you well an you "phone in" your match and complain about shit, then your ass is gone and I will tell everyone else that you are difficult to work with.

People helping people.  It's what makes the world go 'round.  So here's my challenge to all of the promoters out there reading this....start booking less guys, and paying those guys that are loyal to you and busting their asses more money.  It will pay off for you in the long-run.  Like I keep saying, the only way the business is going to change is if we make it change.  #LetsChangeWrestling

No comments:

Post a Comment